[CUBE] Defrag?

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Wed Jan 7 07:29:55 PST 2004

> with a PC, I would probably defrag the hard drive. Do maccistes do such
> things, and how. I found the disk utility, and all I could find to do
> was
> verify the permissions. I have Norton for OSX, but have read lots of
> warnings on this list to avoid it.
> Briefly therefore, is there any sort of routine maintenance I need to
> do
> such as defragging? And if so how? Many thanks.

If you are running 10.3. it automatically defragments files smaller
than 20 MB iz size. Generally I haven't found fragmentation to be a
problem.
You might want to try MacJanitor or Macaroni (you can find either on
www.versiontracker.com), they will run the maintenance scripts that are
supposed to be scheduled in the middle of the night, but probably
rarely do.