[CUBE] Defrag?

Alan Thompson athomp2 at mac.com
Wed Jan 7 07:51:57 PST 2004

All filesystems, HFS+, NTFS, FAT, FAT32, UFS, etc.. are subject to
fragmentation by their very nature.  The degree to which they are
subject to fragmentation varies, however. Both UFS and the latest HFS+
have been designed to resist fragmentation but it still happens.

Panther does have two things to combat fragmentation - automatic
defragmentation, and "hotfile" clustering.  I would venture to guess
that it could be that the you're running out of hard disk space, or
have multiple swap files on there taking up lots of room (which could
be indicative of insufficient RAM), and have excessive paging going on.

Have your reboot times slowed?  Do you keep your cube on 24x7?

Instead of Norton, I'd recommend Disk Warrior - but I'd look into other
things first - % of free disk space, number of pageouts, amount of RAM,
etc..

--alan