[CUBE] dead FW ports, Combo drive suggestions?

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Thu Jan 8 05:55:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Steffen Barabasch wrote:

> BTW, any suggestions for a great Combo drive, external, FW? Pretty
> case optional ;-)
>
> Native or hackable support from iTunes/Finder for burning and DVD
> Player for DVDs would be excellent, since that seems to be the
> crucial point with external FW drives...

Look no further than OWC. www.macsales.com
They have great stuff, great service.
I really like the OWC mercury series of firewire HDs and opticals. I
recently got an external burner and it works great. Not iDVD ready, but
there are plenty of other products that will take it's place. The free
(OEM) version of DragonBurn that came with the drive won't do video DVDs.
OWC sells Charismac's Discribe for $5 with the drive, which works for me.
Toast Titanium is probably the more elegant and widely used solution, but
also more expensive.

Allan