[CUBE] Defrag... To 24/7

Ixbalam jaguar at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 8 09:04:34 PST 2004

On Thursday, Jan 8, 2004, at 08:46 America/New_York, Christopher Hack
wrote:

> Many thanks for all your answers and suggestions to speed my wonderful
> cube.
> I have run macajanitor, and there seems some improvement, but not back
> how it was six months ago. For those who asked, I have a 450mhz, with
> 10.2.8, 120gb Maxtor hd, 1.25Gig of RAM. I turn it off at night, and
> spend
> most of my time using Ms Word, Entourage and Camino. The reason I
> mentioned
> defrag was because I also run virtual PC5 with win98, and within that I
> received warning the hard drive was badly fragmented. I figured there
> was
> only one hard drive, so that made me think it could be the problem.

I used to run VPC with Win98.  Win is probably just warning you that
the hard drive image it runs from is fragmented.  I've gotten the same
warning and had Win defrag its drive.  It should be seeing your shared
Mac drive or folder(s) as a network share and probably wouldn't be able
to see fragmentation there.  I'm not sure about that but remember
having Win98 wanting to defrag only its own virtual drive.  I forget
where the drive image is by default, but it's a relatively big file
with a Windows FAT filesystem in it, kind of like a .dmg file.

I leave my cube on 24/7 myself.  I have dnetc running so it's at least
doing _something_ all night and the monitor set to power down after 15
minutes idle to save a bit of power.

--
                  Ixy - jaguar (at) bestweb (dot) net
                   http://tinyurl.com/avck

"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here,
  looking through your stuff.'                               -Jack Handy