Hitachi hard drives

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Fri Jan 16 06:53:10 PST 2004

Greetings, all.

I know many of you have researched replacement hard drives for your
Cubes.  Well, as you know I have a new iMac that replaced my Cube.
Now, this iMac has a Hitachi drive in it (specifically a
HDS722580-VLAT20), and apparently these Hitachi/IBM DeskStar drives
have this REALLY annoying, uh, "feature" which is supposed to prolong
the life of the drive.  If anything, it's going to limit the life of my
COMPUTER because I'm going to pound it into the ground.

So, a word of warning: if you want quiet operation, STAY AWAY from
these IBM/Hitachi DeskStar drives.

Now: assuming Apple will not replace my unit, what replacement hard
drives have you guys found to be suitable, QUIET replacement drives?
This one is an Ultra ATA/100 @ 7200 rpm, so I would like to stick with
something along those lines.

Any thoughts?

Eagle