[CUBE] Off Topic - need Mail help

Ixbalam jaguar at bestweb.net
Mon Jan 19 14:47:26 PST 2004

On Monday, Jan 19, 2004, at 16:23 America/New_York, Ann Billups wrote:

> I have an off-topic question and was wondering if someone here could
> direct me to the source of information to answer it.
>
> In my old (OS 9) email program (Claris Emailer), there was a way to
> archive your email so you could then delete some email, but still have
> an archive stored. I haven't found a way to do that in the new Apple
> Mail program. The only information listed in Mail help is how to back
> up(which is basically what I want to do), but this involved copying
> several folders and files from different places in both the
> Home/Library/ and the Users folders. I am not an AppleScriptor, but
> this seems to be a perfect use for an AppleScript to perform all of
> these duties at once and save it to a backup folder.
>
> Can anyone direct me to where I might find the answer to my need or
> help with making the script?

I'm not much of an Applescripter.  For daily backups I have this as an
alias in my shell rc file.  It uses the Stuffit 7 command line tool.
This archives the whole mail folder and saves the compressed file to
~/Bak.  You could do something similar with tar or gnutar and gzip or
bzip2.  You could run a shell script daily using cron too or, I'm sure,
use an Applescript to do the same.

stuff -f sitx -m 4 -r 64 -n ~/Bak/Mail.`date +%Y.%m.%d`.sitx
~/Library/Mail

This should do essentially the same thing with just tar, no compression.

tar -cf ~/Bak/Mail.`date +%Y.%m.%d`.tar

--
          Ixy - jaguar (at) bestweb (dot) net
               http://tinyurl.com/avck

"Why do we drink cow's milk? Who was the first guy
  who first looked at a  cow and said "I think I'll
  drink whatever comes  out of  these things when I
  squeeze 'em!"?                            -Calvin