[CUBE] Airport to airport?

Ann Billups abillups at mac.com
Mon Jan 19 13:56:41 PST 2004

I found using my Cube for a basestation was unsatisfactory. Its range
was only about 30 feet and had no strength of signal unless I was right
next to it. I looked into antennas to strengthen the signal and found
they were as expensive as the Airport BaseStation. My house is long and
narrow, 30ft by 70ft, and the Cube is in the far east bedroom and the
family room is on the far west end of the house. So I got a BaseStation
and it worked reasonably well for about two years and then died. I
upgraded to an Airport extreme BaseStation just after I had gotten a
new 12" PowerBook and my reception really got awful. The 12" PB is
really bad, much worse that my 14" iBook was. I again looked into
antennas again and it was as expensive to buy an antenna as a
refirbished Extreme BaseStation from the Apple Web Store.

So I now have a basestation at each end of my house and use the one in
the familyroom to relay to the other one for internet access and the
setup works just fine. I just hope the Extreme Base Station lasts
longer than the first one did. I understand that the old ones can be
fixed, but it wouldn't have helped because you need an Extreme to do
relay.

On Jan 19, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Christopher Hack wrote:

> Hello, quick question.
> I have my cube connected to an ethernet network with an ADSL/hub
> model. I
> want to be able to use my ibook around the house with wireless access
> to the
> ADSL internet connection.
> Can I simply buy two airport cards, and put one in the ibook and one I
> the
> cube? That way connecting to the internet via my cube.  Or do I need
> to buy
> one card for the ibook, and buy an airport base station?
> Thanks in advance. Chris

> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <Cube-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> Mac ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>  T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!

>    Outpost    | http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

>   Dr. Bott    |    <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>

Ann Billups
abillups at earthlink.net