[CUBE] Somewhat OT: Airport questions

Ann Billups abillups at mac.com
Fri Jun 18 11:42:11 PDT 2004

Riba,

Instead of going with eBay, check out the Apple Store. They often have
refurbed Airport Extreme base stations for about $160. These are not
the ones with the modem or the usb port, but they will work great with
your DSL. I already had an Extreme BS but was not getting the coverage.
The second one acts as a relay and now my whole house and outside is
covered at less that what an extra antenna would have cost. I can use
my PB anywhere, and when I relocated my Cube for my husband's use in
his area of the office, I didn't have to run ethernet cables.

On Jun 18, 2004, at 10:53 AM, Riba wrote:

> Hello people...I need some feeback on this.
>
> Few days ago I got the DSL connecion at home, and considering that I
> already have airport card in Cube and a brand new Powerbook on the way
> next week, I thought it might be nice to put the wireless router
> somewhere and forget about the cables.
> I'm not a wireless freak though, and I'm even cosidering getting a
> 802.11b wireless router because I believe this is more than enough for
> the planned use. Of course for just a  bit more $ I can get a 802.11g
> router, but considering that my cube has the old airport the speed
> would be bumped down even with 802.11g router when using the Cube.
> What I'm actually considering is to get an older graphite base station
> (I noticed one can get them for a decent price on ebay). I recall
> about some older base stations exhibiting some problems and recalls so
> I'm a bit wary at the moment. Anyone on the list selling a graphite
> base station? :)
>
> Am I stupid for considering buying and older technology? Would I
> regret it down the road? Any other suggestions?

Ann Billups
abillups at earthlink.net