[CUBE] PM G4 Cube - Upgrade or not!?

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Fri Jun 18 17:06:11 PDT 2004

Luis Meleiro wrote:
> Listers,
>
> I've finally upgraded my Cube with a PL 1,35GHz but I'm facing occasional =
> erratic behaviour in the Mac.
> I've 'religiously' followed the Video CD included by PL and I'm positive =
> I've done it as PL indicates.
>
> My computer boots, works, but gives me occasional crashes/kernel panics =
> each time I open Apple Disk Utility or Apple System Profiler. This happens =
> everytime I choose ATA or FireWire options. It seems the machine isn't =
> able to find/list ATA or FireWire connections. This is not persistant =
> though, sometimes I boot and open the same apps and everything just goes =
> smooth... it recognises my internal 80Gb ATA hdd and my external 160Gb FW =
> hdd.
>
> I've tried archive and install from Panther CDs but it can't install the =
> system in my internal hdd. Nevertheless, I've accomplished a perfect =
> Panther installation in my external hdd.
>
> I've reseated everything from the beginning and checked for bad cable =
> connections/contacts. Didn't find anything wrong.
>
> Does everyone here who recently installed faced these or similar issues?
> What shall I do to understand/nail what might be happening?
>
> Please help/advise. Thanks in advance,
> LM

My best guess is memory.  People tend to forget how picky OSX can
be about memory.  And even though you may have been running OSX
before the upgrade, you are running faster now, so more of a chance
for marginal memory to make a difference.

If you have more than one memory SIMM, I'd swap them and then check
to see if your symptoms stay the same.  Or is it failing in some
different way now?  If the problem goes away, you're good to go.
If it changes, then see if you can isolate the bad SIMM by running
with one SIMM at a time.

That's what I'd do....
--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator