Installing New HD

Rod Clifford rod at eslickdesign.com
Wed Mar 3 15:24:12 PST 2004

I have ordered a 40GB Western Digital HD today (from OWC), read HD
install tips on CubeOwner,
also read moving data w/ Carbon Copy Cloner. But, to verify (or
condense):

1. Data (2 separate accounts) can be moved using my iBook in target
disk mode. Or is Carbon Copy Cloner
going to move files (fonts & some work) faster? Most importantly, short
user name (which is used by iTunes to
track purchased music) can it be transferred successfully w/CCC?

2. After installing HD (set HD to master, correct?), initialize the new
HD w/ disk utility on disk 1 of Panther install.
Along this subject, I do need OS9 for older software. Initialize w/ 10
or 9 HD setup?

3. Install OS/fresh versions of programs/tansfer files back to cube.

This is VERY condensed, articles in CubeOwner FAQ were very detailed
regarding tools and proceedure.
Just want to verify the basics as I have not attempted this before.
             Thanks, Rod