[CUBE] iDVD hack

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Thu Mar 11 17:19:55 PST 2004

Yup... I just heard that a couple of companies got "Cease and Desist"
orders from Apple because their third-party DVD R/W drives were set up
to work with Apple's DVD Player from the factory [Wonder who THAT could
be ;^)]... And, detected hacks are notoriously squashed when they are
found... I can totally see Apple's point on this: If a third-party
vendor wants to be supported by Apple, they should pay a licensing
fee... And, if Apple doesn't want to issue licenses, for whatever
reason, that is of course their right [I'm guessing Apple wants to sell
as many high-end drives in their products as possible]... Apple has
enough pressure on them due to their small market share and relatively
high pricing [When was the last time you bought a brand-new Mac?... My
Cube, 15" TFT, and 23" HD Display were all refurbs I bought from the
Apple Store; Got the Xserve off of E-Bay, and the TiBook was used
through a vendor... Only my G3 500 dual-USB iBook, 5GB iPod, and
AirPort BS were bought new, and the AirPort was a close-out deal when
the Extreme version came out]...

Hacks, of course, are... well... hacks... I, for one, won't use the
iDVD hack: Toast works just fine for what I do, and I can burn to the
LaCie from any iApp EXCEPT iDVD, which I have no desire to use at this
point anyway...

I'm diggin' the VLC Media Player free-ware though! ;^)...

Pep