Best $$ I ever spent on my Cube

jesse v mentholiptus at mac.com
Sun Mar 14 09:30:42 PST 2004

1.2ghz PowerLogix 7457 upgrade card
MotU 828mk2 FireWire audio interface
LaCie L2 8x DVD-/+RW
Belkin 6-port FireWire hub

Why?

FCP4, SoundTrack, DVD Studio Pro 2, Digital Performer 4 etc... run like
a dream.

Audio levels (from the system level to my receiver) are LOUD, crisp,
and PERECT, not to mention I now have 24bit, 96kHz 24 simultaneous
tracks in and out, as well as optical and coaxial I/O, midi I/O, and 2
MIC/Guitar XLR pre's in. The system won't even let me control the audio
from my volume slider or keys, it's all done with whatever receiver or
device I'm playing my audio from (and unlike Apple's analog or USB
audio, with ALL volume sliders at full blast, there's no distortion)

At first when I got the PL upgrade, I was only able to encode CD's at
7x tops, but with the LaCie DVDR, it rips at 17-20x. The shortcoming
was in the cubes DVD drive. Not to mention, 24x CD burning, and 8x DVD
burning and along with the drive ($250) came Toast 6 Ti. The drive has
no on or off switch, but only engages when it's called on by media or
software, so it's constantly cool, SILENT, and ready. (Very nice
aluminum enclosure to boot).

All this plugged into my Cube, and I have 3 firewire ports left to
hot-swap DV cams, iPods, external HD's, and what not.

All this for less than a new iBook.

I won't be buying a new machine until at least late '05

jesse

.