[CUBE] [P1] RAM question

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Fri Mar 19 10:45:00 PST 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 12:39 PM, George Pepper wrote:

> Ditto... I have half a gig in my Cube, but only 256MB in my Xserve...
> I thought this would be a problem, and that I'd want more RAM in the
> Xserve, but the Xserve is faster than the Cube in every way... Sure,
> I'll max em' both out eventually, but both of my laptops [G3 500
> iBook, G4 400 TiBook] both do fine with 256/384 respectively... I keep
> several apps open simultaneously on each, and have not had a memory
> alert since I had 128 in the iBook...

Well you will never have a memory alert, because it will create the
virtual memory swap files until it chokes. I have a Lombard with 384
MB, and yes, everything works just fine, until you realize that 1.5 GB
on your had drive are occupied by virtual memory swap files, and that
place is never freed unless you restart. Having a 8GB system partition
doesn't help.