[CUBE] How do I set up Local Network password?

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Sat Mar 20 08:40:41 PST 2004

Snow White wrote:
> How do I set up Local Network password?
>
> OK, I know ow to use the GO menu in OSX 10.2.8 and 10.2.6 and my shared
> volumes show up
>
> What I cannot do is log in.  I can use Guest Log-in and get the Public
> Drop Box.  And I can read and write in it.  But I cannot log-in as a
> registered user with a password.  It is always rejected.
>
> Where can I, on the serving computer (10.2) set up what the allowed
> Network User Name and Password - so I can get past this problem and on
> to a new one?
>
> Where can I set up what Files, Folders, HDs are shared and with what
> Users on the serving computer?
>
> I look at Apple and everywhere I could think of for this info - and I
> am sure it is right in front of me in the OS.  In OS 9 I could do this
> all easily enough with the Share Control Panel and the Get Info Menu to
> set read/write for what Network User, but now I cannot find the
> equivalent controls.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a central authentication
management server, like a Windows PDC (Primary Domain Controller).

I believe Macs can set up a similar system using a central Netinfo
Domain Server (not sure of the exact label).  Anyway, it can be
configured as a central authentication server and each of the machines
on your network can be instructed to defer to it for user names and
passwords and such.

But on a simple home network this is not really necessary.  It would be
overkill.  It would be like setting up a local DNS service for two or
three machines.  Silly.  (I know because I'm guilty of having done just
that for my home network, just to learn how).

But back to the point.  What you need for sharing volumes is an account
on both machines.  These need not be the same account names and
passwords, but it makes things simpler for you if they are.

When you first bring up 'Connect to Server' you will see a dialog where
you fill in the hostname or ip address of the machine you wish to obtain
files from.  If it's on your local network you can use the machine's
rendezvous name, eg:  silver.local.  If not, but the machine's name is
resolvable via DNS, then you can enter it's fully qualified domain name,
eg:  silver.kingoblio.com.  Otherwise, you'll have to type in it's
ipaddress.  Then click 'Connect'.  Next you will be presented a dialog
box that offers you the option to login to the remote machine as either
'Guest' or as known, registered user of that machine.  And here it
assumes you will be logging in over there using the same account name
you use on the machine you're sitting at, so it tries to help you out by
filling in your full name in the Name:  box.  If this does not EXACTLY
match the full name on the destination machine it will not work.  I
found that I had an extra space between my first and last names on one
of my machines and every attempt to login always failed on the first
attempt until I replaced the full name with my 'short' name.

Point being, you want to fill in that Name: field with the login
name of the account on the remote machine.  Either the full name
or the 'short' name.  Then enter the password you use on that remote
machine to login as if you where sitting down in front of it.

Next you will see a dialog box offering you the opportunity to mount
up on your local machine one of the available filesystems on the
remote machine.  This can be an iPod, an iDisk, your home directory,
or even the remote machine's entire hard disk (you probably will be
required to have an administrator's account on the remote machine to
mount up the whole disk (I would think, but I'm not sure because I
*am* the administrator on all my machines).

If, on the other hand, you select 'Guest' then you will only be able
to see the Public Folders.

Does that help?

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator