[CUBE] CPU Temp: How hot is too hot?...

David Lambourn David.Lambourn at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 22:35:50 PST 2004

For several years I ran a Sonnet G3 400MHz upgrade in a UMAX tower from
which I had removed the original three(!) fans - and had modified the
tower for convection-only cooling. I enquired of Sonnet who told me
that the top working temperature for the chip was 80 (I assumed, rather
than was told, Celcius) I used a free piece of software, that came with
the upgrade, to monitor the temperature which never got above 46 as I
remember.(I have forgotten the name of the software, but I remember the
icon being a silhouette of a black cat).

How relevant that tea-time story is to running a G4 at 1.4GHz in a Cube
- I have been puzzling over for more than a year now!

David