[CUBE] OSX forgets window resizing... (little OT)

macubelist at bridgehead.de macubelist at bridgehead.de
Tue Mar 30 07:04:07 PST 2004

Hi LM,

yes, you are right, it is an invisible file. one of many. each and
every folder that you have looked at has one of those.
"looked" - that means they are not existent until you "open" or look at
the contents of a folder with the finder. The finder looks if the file
exists, and tries to read the settings. If it succeeds, the folder is
displayed the way you set it. If there is no file, or if the file is
corrupt, the finder displays the folder in it's default setting.

So this file has no importance to the underlying unix-system. It is
more like a preference file for the finder. If you delete it, more or
less nothing happens. It will be created as soon as you open the folder
with the finder again.

Your way of deleting the file would be ok, I guess. But you need to
trash the one thats causing the problem, and it will be tedious to find
it. I do respect peoples' fear of terminal or any similar philosophy.
But I am happily using the terminal, so I would just "cd" into the
folder, and "rm .DS_Store" the file. basta.

> And once this issue is happening to every finder window I open (no
> specific order or nature), my question is... which ".DS_Store" to
> delete!?
Well, of course the one thats inside the directory that doesn't display
like it should.

Cheers,

Wolf