[CUBE] OSX forgets window resizing... (little OT)

macubelist at bridgehead.de macubelist at bridgehead.de
Tue Mar 30 07:49:54 PST 2004

Hi Luis,

> I really don't know if I made myself clear. I've got this terrible
> barrier called native language. English's not mine :(
Same here. Thats why I post so seldomly and if, my answers are always
so long - I try to be as precise as possible.

> In Mac OS 9, each time you click on the upper right corner of a window
> (set to display its contents in 'view as icons'), and it doesn't
> matter how many times you open and close this window again... it
> maintains its size/format and finder position. I guess this was
> supposed to happen in Mac OS X too.
Yes. Absolutely. For the finder to "remember" the position, size and
the way the content is displayed, it creates a file, called
".DS_Store", in which it writes these settings. It does so for each and
every folder. Example:
	You have a folder "Applications".
	You look at it with the finder.
	A file /Applications/.DS_Store has just been created.

> Well for me at least it doesn't. It seems like it really doesn' t
> matter either if you pre-define it or not, the Finder persists to open
> the window the way it wants, and not the way you/the user wants.
Yes, unfortunately you are right here, too. The finder *should*
remember the settings, but sometimes he doesn't. Most often, this
happens because the file ".DS_Store" in *that* folder is corrupt, gone
bad. Then it could help if you delete the file ".DS_Store" in *that*
folder, so the finder can create a new file and everybody is happy
again.

There are more reasons, why this could fail (no, I don't want to make
it more complicated): Think, for example, you are looking at a network
folder to which you have no write access. If you cannot write, the
finder cannot write either, so it cannot write the file .DS_Store in
which it would save the settings. You can do whatever you want, the
next time you open that network folder again, it looks just like
before, not like you wanted it.

> Is this *issue* just happening to me!?
No. "Unfortunately" not. We are all bothered by it. Things today are
not the way they used to be... ;-))

Wolf