[Cube] Sonnet 1,2 GHz Upgrade - is it worth the money?

David Lambourn David.Lambourn at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 00:27:59 PST 2004

Stefan,

About 2 months ago I installed the 1.3 GHz GigaDesign.

It has no fan, so is as silent as the original.  There seems to be no
heat problem, but I have no means of checking core temperature.
Subjectively, it seems, if anything, cooler than the 500MHz it
replaced. (Perhaps I should say that I have the Cube standing on two
strips of gel - a wrist-rest which I cut in half. Partly, I did this
because I am clumsy and occasionally jog the table and the gel acts to
absorb the shock, and partly it provides a less restricted area for the
cooling on the input side - I have no reason to think that this
improves the cooling, other than my own vivid imagination!)

Since installing it, I have had 3 Kernel Panics, only one of which
surprised me at the time. But since the third one, I have remembered
that none of the routine maintenance tasks had been done - I had
switched them off, intending to do them manually, and then forgot!
Since re-instating these, there has been no problem (4 weeks).

I use a powered USB hub in the belief that this will draw less current
from the Cube. However, I do use Firewire for scanning and HD back-up.
If that has cleared the problem, then I have a machine with 120GB HD,
1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, and SuperDrive. For my purposes, I cannot see a need
for any further upgrades.

David.