[Cube] 2 little buttons at bottom

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Sat Nov 27 13:52:23 PST 2004

On 11/27/04 3:46 PM, "TonVanHest" <a.vanhest at chello.nl> wrote:

> Normally my Cube is 24/24 on however I needed to turn it off/on.
> Turning off was no problem however turning it again on I did not
> succeed.
>
> When touching the light would go on and off directly after releasing my
> finger.
>
> So I read my technical papers and concluded that I would have to reset
> a PMU switch on the logic board. So I took it out and all I saw was a
> videoboard. So apparently it is quite an operation to reset it.
>
> Is this correct?

The pmu reset button (logic board reset button) is on the logic board, under
the video card. Removing the video card is very simple - unscrew the face
plate from the chassis, unscrew the stabilizing brace that covers the VRM
and the back corner of the video card (not present on all Cubes), then lift
the AGP riser out of the slot.

The location of the button can be found here:
http://www.cubeowner.com/gallery/parts/Mainboard01

> Next I noticed at the bottom (where the cables are) 2 very small
> buttons depicting (looked like) a triangle and other a voltage sign. I
> could nowhere find in my manual what these buttons are used for.
>
> Anyone that knows?

The recessed button is the programmer's switch. The protruding button is the
restart/reset button. See "Your Computer's Ports and Connectors" page in the
manual:  http://cubeowner.com/manuals/user_manual.pdf

> Anyhow, I did not want to take the videoboard out and thought "maybe
> pressing these will solve my problem". So I pressed (both) buttons and
> next it would startup.

If you were unable to startup the computer normally, I suspect you may want
to replace the battery:
http://cubeowner.com/kbase/index.php?page=index_v2&id=32&c=25

Laurie
--