[Cube] Re: Cube Emergency: Please Help

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 13:19:44 PDT 2004

I managed to get all my data off the Cube before the drive motor toasted itself.

Now I need a new HD.  Guess this is an "oportunity" to upgrade.

Thanks.

Pep

RANT/ P.S.  A couple of people mentioned a couple of ways to get my library off of my iPod.  One even e-mailed me off line with a plug-in that's really cool [But that Apple squashed, natch].  Now, I'm probably the least computer literate person on this list [I don't want to know any more about computers than I absolutely have to to use them: That's why I use Apples (I still think UNIX is a hoax. I've never seen it.)], but isn't it IMPOSSIBLE to take MP3's off of an iPod from a computer whose iTunes library the iPod isn't linked to?  For example, I put the plug-in into my Xserve.  I've never used iTunes on the Xserve, so the library is empty.  If I plug my iPod into the Xserve, the first thing the idiotic POS does is launch iTunes and ask me if I want to sync the iPod to this computer.  As much as an Apple ludite as I am, even I know that would ERASE my iPod.  There appears to be no way around this at all. So, am I correct in concluding that IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO RESCUE MY ITUNES LIBRARY IF THE HD HAD DIED BEFORE I TRANSFERRED IT TO MY POWERBOOK?  Being a musician, I'm VERY fussy about copyright law, and think long and hard before I use any software that is "illegal", but my iTunes library is MINE! I bought all the music, and I spent the countless hours ripping the CD's, so I want to be able to put it on all four of my computers so that it's adequitely backed up. I think Apple is WRONG not to allow users to back up their iTunes library to their other computers (Who only has ONE Apple?), so I'd be interested in a reliable program that could do this. Illegal or not. /RANT