[Cube] Re: External DVD/CD burner options

Donald Schwab deschwab at descom-usa.com
Thu Dec 29 15:46:29 PST 2005

The best advantage of an external CD/DVD burner is that you can make
direct copies of CDs and DVDs.

I find Toast Titanium 6 is a fine Cube CD/DVD burning software
application, simpler to use than Ahead Nero 6, which I use in my
Windows PCs.     I use Toast with an external FW Lacie CD-RW (NEC
within) burner plugged into my Cube, and with an external FW Lacie
DVD-RW (Lite-On within) burner plugged into my PowerMac G5--the Lacie
DVD-RW worked as well with Toast with my Cube with its DVD-ROM drive.

I suspect assembling a home CD/DVD external, with a Pioneer DVR-110
and whichever FireWire external box you find most aesthetically
appealing, would be fine with Toast.  (I was able to get great deals
on my external Lacie units, making the "Porsche Design" cases more
affordable than a 911).

And many other external burners might prove workable with a Cube or
other Mac, if you install Patch Burn -- I found it made using some
Creative branded Plextor CD-RWs feasible:

Patch Burn 4.0.0a5 	Popular 	Homepage :: File Mirrors
otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly with Mac-OS X,
iTunes and DiscBurner.
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.4 or later
Version: 4.0.0a5   Filesize: 1.09 MB   License: Freeware
Added on: 2005-12-01  Downloads (all versions): 1670