[Cube] Creating OS 9 partition and updating firmware to 4.1.9

Matthew obc_spike at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 22:00:06 PST 2005

I need to upgrade my firmware to 4.1.9 (from 4.1.8) in order to use a new CPU
upgrade. Unfortunately, the update wants me to boot into OS 9, which is proving
a maddening problem.

Normally, I use OS X 10.3.7. I have the original Cube CDs, but the "Software
install" CD won't boot on my system. I can choose it as the startup disk from
OS X, but get just a grey screen on boot. I have the OS 9.1 update software
(and 9.2, for that matter), but not the full OS, so I need that 9.0.4 version
before I can update it to 9.1 and update the firmware. (For reference, the
original Hardware Test CD boots fine and reports no problems after the test.)

Have other people seen this problem? How can I get the OS 9 partition I need
for the update?

Thanks, Spike