[Cube] Creating OS 9 partition and updating firmware to 4.1.9

Donald Schwab deschwab at descom-usa.com
Tue Feb 8 05:16:02 PST 2005

I've a similar problem.  I've had a Gigadesign 1.2 gHz upgrade sitting
around for a couple of months because it needs the firmware 4.19
upgrade.

My cube is running OS X 10.3.7, an a 7200 rpm Western Digital 60 GB
hard drive.

Perhaps because I am a relatively new OS X user (bought the Cube in
April 2004 and moved my email activity there to avoid Microsoft's
weaknesses and flaws), I at one stage before upsizing my hard drive got
rid of OS 9.22.  Boy, what a mistake, but I thought I would never need
that legacy stuff and deleted unwanted OS 9 programs as well to
increase availability in a 20 GB Maxtor then installed.

I've found creating a partition with a real OS 9 setup awkward, and
hasn't allowed doing the firmware thing, so I've worked out my game
plan (which time and travel has kept me from accomplishing, but which
should happen soon).

My plan is simple:  Reinstall the 20 GB hard drive, format and install
OS 9.1 (which I have on CD), do the firmware upgrade on that setup,
than disassemble again the reinstal the 60 GB hard drive.

Probably put it back in the case and ensure it boots right, etc, and
then load the Gigadesign software/upgrades.

Pull apart once more, and put the Gigadesign into operation.

So my recommendation for you is find or borrow an unused hard drive and
find or borrow a OS 9.1 or other OS 9 OS CD set, and update the
firmware with a separate setup, then revert to your usual 10.3.7.

Don