[Cube] Vibration Isolation

Steven Southerden Dive aptn05 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 8 02:19:17 PST 2005

Seems to me you should worry more about the effect on a CRT display,
rather than any magnetic media (e.g. the HD). A steady-state magnet,
such as in a loudspeaker, will not have much permanent effect on nearby
magnetic materials. But CRT screens are very sensitive to stray fields,
as precise allignment of the electrom beams is needed for good colour
rendition. The Sony tubes in many Apple displays have automatic
de-gausing to prevent build-up of odd colour patches due to these
fields, but you need to re-start the display from time to time to make
this feature work. It accounts for the loud thump you hear when
starting some of these displays, as the de-gausing coils receive a
short and large current 'kick' that makes the whole unit shake. I use
an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT (ADC) that came with my Cube, and it
behaves this way, and it's right next to the Cube. My old 5500 also
sends out one hell of a pulse, and that's never had any effect, either,
and that's built into the same case as it's HD.

A high enough frequency alternating magnetic field can wipe, or at
least wreck, stored data bits. It's all to do with things like field
strength, coercivity, field flux, magnetic domains, etc. Modern HD's
use some interesing high order physics to record and read data. There
will be someone out there with sound knowledge of the physics who can
give a better idea of the relative risks, though maybe not on this list
(and certainly not me).

Steve