[Cube] Mac mini-- 1 GB memory upgrade = US$425 !!!

Joseph B. Gurman jgurman at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 07:58:04 PST 2005

     Steve Goldstein wrote:

>Holy silicon!  Talk about grabbing you by the short hairs!  I mean,
>c'mon, Apple, get real!
>
>So, the price of the faster, bigger HD mini with Super Drive,
>wireless (Airport Extreme card) + Bluetooth and AppleCare = US$1402.
>Arghhh!  (and they say that memory upgrade can only be done by Apple
>or an authorized repair shop)--almost 3 x the price of the base
>machine.
>
>BTW, they do not tell you if the older Airport cards will work with
>the mini (in case you really do not need Extreme).  Gotta wait for
>more info on the net.

     Where did you get that??

     According to the Apple Store (US) online:

>* 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
>* 80GB Ultra ATA drive
>* SuperDrive
>* Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
>* 56K v.92 Modem
>* Mac OS X - U.S. English
>* 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
>Estimated Ship:
>3-4 weeks
>Free Shipping
>
>Subtotal $778.00

     With the !Gbyte memory, it's $1203, but who ever bought memory
from Apple? The 1 Gbyte DDR 333 DIMM is $210 - $235 most places. And
cheapie PC sellers do the same thing, usually selling the  low end
boxes with inadequate memory to keep the price point down.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas