[Cube] connect cube to airport express?

atoa atoa at krak.net
Wed Jul 20 15:07:59 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Erik Ableson wrote:

> A bridge will get you the maximum performance of the connection - etherne=
t =3D=20
> 100Mb, 11g =3D 54Mb so I'll be getting the most I can out of the availabl=
e=20
> bandwidth.  And yes, if you run the Express in client mode, it's not goin=
g to=20
> let you do this, but in WDS mode it works flawlessly (as per the technote=
).

Ah, but only if the existing wireless net is Airport Extreme or another=20
Express. I've heard rumors that some other WAPs will work, but I've had no=
=20
luck with my Belkin.

> My network current consists of two Airport Express modules so this works=
=20
> fine.  I've tested it with computers hooked up via ethernet to the second=
=20
> Express (the one that's not hooked up to the DSL modem) and it has no=20
> problems getting a DHCP assigned address from the router.  That said, I=
=20
> haven't tried to bridge a _network_ on the other end (ie, hook up a hub o=
r=20
> switch and plug in more than one machine), but with a machine connected=
=20
> directly to the  Express it works just fine.

That is precisely what I was hoping to do. I have a room full of older=20
boxes that can't be reached with wire, and for which there is no practical=
=20
wireless solution. I think I'll just get a bridge, though they never go on=
=20
sale.