[Cube] connect cube to airport express?

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Tue Jul 19 22:20:34 PDT 2005

A bridge will get you the maximum performance of the connection -
ethernet = 100Mb, 11g = 54Mb so I'll be getting the most I can out of
the available bandwidth.  And yes, if you run the Express in client
mode, it's not going to let you do this, but in WDS mode it works
flawlessly (as per the technote).

My network current consists of two Airport Express modules so this
works fine.  I've tested it with computers hooked up via ethernet to
the second Express (the one that's not hooked up to the DSL modem)
and it has no problems getting a DHCP assigned address from the
router.  That said, I haven't tried to bridge a _network_ on the
other end (ie, hook up a hub or switch and plug in more than one
machine), but with a machine connected directly to the  Express it
works just fine.

And the amusing side node here is that I have an XP box that I tested
using this method and it worked.  But since I was going to move the
XP machine to another room, I bought an internet 11g card for it, but
the @#% thing drops the connection on a random basis, and refuses to
auto reconnect, so it's useless for offering services to the network
since half the time it's not available.  OTOH, my cube runs OS X
Server and happily plugs away over the Airport connection 7/24 for
months on end...

Cheers,

Erik