[Cube] OT: Acrobat 5.0 WILL_NOT_DIE!

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 11:05:03 PST 2005

 OK.  This is another one of the countless computer "things" I don't understand.  I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 to my Xserve, transferred it to my Cube via the AirPort network, moved Acrobat 5.0 to the trash, and put reader 6 in it's place in the Apps folder.  Why do all my .pdf's STILL open with Acrobat 5.0?  More to the point HOW CAN THEY OPEN WITH AN APP THAT'S IN THE TRASH?!

 I did a search of the HD to see if there was any other copy of Acrobat and found all the stuff in OS 9, which I deleted (But wouldn't it try to start Classic Mode if that was the copy it was trying to use? <head scratch>).  The only way I can open a .pdf with Reader 6 is to use Open With in the File menu.

 Oh yeah.  When Acrobat 5 opens up it says it's not the default and asks me if I'd rather use Acrobat 5 instead of Acrobat 5.  I got to admit, that made me giggle.

 I just want Acrobat 5 to be a memory.  A long distant memory of a bygone era.  A closed chapter in my computing life.  Something I remember with fondness but don't miss.

How do I do that?

 TIA

 Pep