[Cube] #$^%# PART TWO, ETHERNET, CUBE< CABLE BROADBAND PRINTER

David Flory daflory at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 27 13:41:11 PST 2005

I missed problem #1, but for the rest it looks like what you need is
a router for #2. You plug the BroadBand modem (either DSL or Cable)
into the WAN (wide area network) port on the router) and the printer
and the computer into one of (usually) 4 LAN (local area network)
ports on the router. That leaves 2 more LAN ports for other Ethernet
devices. (That big phone looking plug is the ethernet outlet.)

#3 - For more USB and/or Firewire ports you need the appropriate
hubs. Always insist on hubs with separate power supplies (i.e. a
power supply adapter for each hub.) This is necessary because some
devices need more power than the Cube power supply can provide over
the firewire cable. The cube's standard external speakers need more
power than most USB hubs can supply over the USB from the cube. The
speakers either need to be plugged directly into the Cube or into hub
with its own power supply. If they don't get enough power you'll find
the maximum  volume is quite restricted. I use a D-Link DSB-H7 USB
hub which has 8 ports. For Firewire I'm using a Belken powered hub
with 6 ports. My router is a NetGear MR814 v2, which also provides
wireless routing to "airport" equipped gear in the house.

Fair winds and happy bytes, Dave Flory
--
Speak softly, study Aikido, & you won't need to carry a big stick!
See my photos @ <http://homepage.mac.com/dflory>