[Cube] Re: Cube] #$^%# PART TWO, ETHERNET, CUBE< CABLE BROADBAND PRINTER

Joseph B. Gurman jgurman at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 15:39:28 PST 2005

     Ceep wrote:

>2. Problem #2: CANT USE BROADBAND MODEM AND PRINTER AT SAME TIME
>part of the problem is that the Motorola Modem from the cable company that
>carries the broadband and the cable tv BOTH, fits into the same plug under the
>cube that the printer fits into. There is only one opening for this kind of
>sort of fat clip phonewire-like cord under the
>cube, that either the cable modem
>and printer use. I can either have flawless braodband connection or run my
>printer, not both. I am a writer, and need internet open most times, and also
>need to print during day several times. The Apple printer has a special yellow
>cord (with fat clip phonewire-like end on it) that would normally run to cube
>cause the orginal cord end that came with the 16/600 Apple printer, didnt fit
>any of the openings under the cube.Ý

     Sounds like the printer is an Ethernet
printer, and the Ethernet (RJ-45; that's the
broader-than
-a-phone-jack-but-looks-like-one connector, the
phone jack being called an RJ-11) port on the
Cube is smart enough to make a connection with a
single device whether or not the pairs in the
cable cross over (a "crossover cable") or go
straight through. The same is true of ports on
most small Ethernet switches, so I suggest you
look into buying one so you can do (as I, and
many people with more than one Ethernet device,
do) this:

Cable modem |-------| Ethernet 10/100 switch
                                             |                               |
                                             |                               |
                                       Printer                      Cube

     A good switch will provide (i) a firewall, to
keep you safe from a broad spectrum of nastiness
out there on the Net (and yes, some of it can
affect Macs) and (ii) "Network Address
Translation" (NAT) and/or DHCP, so your printer
and Mac will have to take on new, Class C
(non-routed) IP addresses (e.g.
10.something.something.something or
192.168.something.something), while your switch
will pretend to have the hardware MAC address of
your Cube, so your cable company/ISP is none the
wiser (some have restrictions on the number of
devices used on a home network hanging off a
modem connection to their network, but in
practice, they just don't want everyone's nodes
taking up their IP namespace and broadcasting
garbage packets over their network.

     I like the Asanté switches, e.g. the FR1004,
which has routing (and firewall, NAT, and DHCP
capabilities):

	http://www.asante.com/products/productsLvl3/FR1004.asp,

or if you think you can live without those, their FS5005 switch:

	http://www.asante.com/products/productsLvl3/FS5000_Series.asp .

     There are cheaper ones out there, but Asanté
(at least until their recent purchase by
TechnoConcepts; don't know if that's going to
change) has always provided Mac-compatible
firmware updates, and their Web-based router
configuration works with Safari.

>i am a girl. I hope this note does not add to the veracity of the
>Harvard President's remark a few weeks ago that
>perhaps most women are not built
>for science...i hope that if someone would teach me, I could learn. And
>remember.

     To be fair to Larry Summers, who doesn't
deserve it considering the controversy-per-year
he's stirred since arriving at Harvard, he
apparently said one could interpret the bald data
to say that, but that he would rather it weren't
true. Please become a Cube geek and contribute
frequently to this list to help amass
contradictory data.

     For what it's worth (and my diploma from Mr.
Summer's Eastern Massachusetts School of Mines
says 1972, so it's geezerific at best), girls and
young women often feel they have to get
everything perfect, all the time, so they're
frequently silent until they've checked and
double-checked their facts, while men of all
ages, the good Pres. Summers included, tend to,
er, shoot from the hip..... not that you'd ever
notice from this list. Uh-uh.

     If this behavioral thing is still true, it
leads to the more insecure sort of guy being
intimidated by women who always have their facts
straight, their ducks in a row, and all their
arguments backup up by reliable data. Sounds sort
of like scientists, to me. So where Larry got
that bizarre train of logic is beyond me.  There
are lots of sociological and psychosocial reasons
why women maybe underrepresented in the ranks of
tenured science faculty. My understanding is that
a bit over 50% of the computer science bachelors'
degrees in the US now go to women.

     Sorry if this has strayed too far off-topic,
but women should be able to hold up half the
list. One handed.

						Joe Gurman