[Cube] #$^%# PART TWO, ETHERNET, CUBE< CABLE BROADBAND PRINTER

atoa at krak.net atoa at krak.net
Mon Mar 28 03:33:54 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 Lacorona at aol.com wrote:

> 2. Problem #2: CANT USE BROADBAND MODEM AND PRINTER AT SAME TIME
> part of the problem is that the Motorola Modem from the cable company tha=
> carries the broadband and the cable tv BOTH, fits into the same plug unde=
r the
> cube that the printer fits into. There is only one opening for this kind =
of
> sort of fat clip phonewire-like cord under the cube, that either the cabl=
e modem
> and printer use. I can either have flawless braodband connection or run m=
> printer, not both. I am a writer, and need internet open most times, and =
also
> need to print during day several times. The Apple printer has a special y=
ellow
> cord (with fat clip phonewire-like end on it) that would normally run to =
cube
> cause the orginal cord end that came with the 16/600 Apple printer, didnt=
 fit
> any of the openings under the cube.=A0 (I now print by sending that manus=
cript via
> email to myself to ANOTHER cube across room that is hooked up to the 16/6=
00
> printer, and print that way... it is ok, but a real gerryrigged way to ha=
ve to
> print.) Wah. I am a big baby, i want my cube to work well. lol.
>
> ANything you can tell me, i appreciate. I know this is a lot of informati=
on,
> but that is how ignorant I am, i dont know what is important to tell and =
what
> is important to leave out... so i put it all in. In order. At least, it i=
> more or less in order. lol.
>
> Thank you for looking and telling me what you think,
> With kindest regards,
> Ceep ( i am a girl. I hope this note does not add to the veracity of the
> Harvard President's remark a few weeks ago that perhaps most women are no=
t built
> for science...i hope that if someone would teach me, I could learn. And
> remember.)

As others have said, probably a switch or hub is your best bet. But I'm=20
not sure we understand your setup.

You have a cable "modem", with an ethernet port. Does it have three? If it=
=20
only has one, how is the Cube across the room able to receive email? If it=
=20
has three, plug the Cubes into two, and the 16/600 into the other.

How is the other Cube across the room able to print to the 16/600?

Does your cable "modem" have a USB port?

Have you tried using printer sharing?