[Cube] Hello everyone

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Fri May 27 10:36:33 PDT 2005

I have several Cubes and still use 2 of them routinely. One is
completely stock except for 704MB RAM. It's running Tiger and Panther
Server off two different partitions on my home AirPort network. I use
it as a backup and to maintain our family's many Macs.

The second is my main day-job machine with many upgrades: a 1.4GHz
CPU, a 120GB Seagate Barracuda drive, a GeForce2 MX graphics card and
896MB RAM. It runs a 22" Cinema Display and is still a very fast,
stable and quiet machine for everything I do--no digital video and no
Photoshop.

OS X through Tiger runs great on both.

With Mac OS 9 and lower, the RAM mantra was "the more the better, as
much as you can afford." But OS X's memory management is much more
efficient. In objective tests, I've found that 256MB of RAM works
fine with OS X through Panther with little to no performance
advantage with more, unless one is working with a few specific RAM-
hungry applications like Photoshop. With Photoshop there seems to be
no such thing as too much RAM.

Apple recommends 512MB RAM with Tiger but I've not repeated my tests
with Tiger yet. Anyway, RAM for the Cube is cheap (PC100 or PC133)
these days so there's no reason to stick with the minimum.