[Cube] help with protection of surges

Riba riba at ml1.net
Thu Oct 6 00:19:05 PDT 2005

> Whatever happened, it fried the cable modem, a motorola, which the
> cable people took away and seated a new one, but my cube would not
> stay in ethernet, no matter what they did. So, they had to hook up
> to my other computer that was apparently unaffected .
>
> Here are my questions: storms come up in an instant or i live on a
> small lake at the base of a mountain.... anyone know about
> lightning rods attached to outside house... i am serious. This is
> the  second lightning

It won't make any difference, the source of the surge can be
generated miles away, and then the spike travels through the wires to
your house. I used to have a similar problem until the dug in the
cables.

> strike near the  house in three y ears. Last time it  fried a
> little tv, turning the white casing bright yellow.
>
> Second  question: I had good surge protectors on all equipment.
> Ought i replace them now?

Probably.

> 3. Is there  any extra strong kind of surge protector i ought knkow
> about

What I learned is that the surge protector that is not expensive is
list like not having it at all. Expect to pay a lot for protectors
that you can have some confidence in. Alternatively, just unplug
everything while you are not at home or you can feel the storm coming.