[Cube] Re: help with protection of surges

Riba riba at ml1.net
Thu Oct 6 07:07:40 PDT 2005

>> It won't make any difference, the source of the surge can be
>> generated miles away, and then the spike travels through the wires to
>> your house. I used to have a similar problem until the dug in the
>> cables.
>>

> Would "dug in" cables be buried underground where they enter your
> house?
> I had the power wires  (also phone and cable) buried from the pole
> to my house mostly for aesthetics.
> It would be neat to find out there was a practical benefit.

No, they need to be buried in for a greater length. The thing is that
the surge gets created in the wires when you have phone and power
lines running in parallel above the ground (which is a no-no, but
most often than not that rule is not respected). So a current surge
in one of the lines will induce a surge on another one which will in
turn hit your home. Having the cables laid down underground for a few
dozen feet will not help you out. The idea is to dig them in in the
source of the problem.