[Cube] Re: help with protection of surges

MorningAJ phoenix at cybernothing.org
Thu Oct 6 08:48:41 PDT 2005

George Pepper writes:

> The only weak link then would be your phone line  if you use a
> modem or DSL modem.

    Rather than spend anywhere from $5 to $50 on a phone line surge
suppressor (though from my days as a dialup tech, I can tell you they're
worth having), I prefer a much more economical and /far/ more effective
solution to keep any circuits from frying: I tie the phone line in a knot,
right near the wall.

    I don't know if anyone else here ever worked for DoD, but the Pentagon
tested this out back in the 80's. A knot in the line forces any incoming
surges to slow down, and thus dissipate. Might sound crazy to some, but I've
never lost a modem at my house -- and they *stay* on all the time.

cheers,
A.J.
 --
"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting"
    -- Steve McQueen