[Cube] Re: Netgear not neatgear

phoeniX phoenix at cybernothing.org
Mon Sep 19 13:56:27 PDT 2005

Helen Lowe writes:

> Yes, I have a USB connected modem which came free from my broadband
> provider.

    This modem connects to your router via USB, then? Just trying to get a
sense of the landscape, here.

> I'm sorry if I haven't got the technical terms exactly right. But this
> modem works fine, while the router with inmodem built and ethernet/airport
> connection doesn't. That's why I thought it was the router.

    So let's get this straight: You can connect one machine directly to the
modem and it works OK, but if you connect multiple machines to the modem via
the router, you get no feed from the modem but the machines can talk to each
other through the router? Is that what's happening?

> I don't know all the answers, and never claimed I did. I just did all the
> tests that were recommended in the manual, on the website and by the
> support line. I still don't have any answers, but I've given the router to
> a colleague who has a Windows PC and asked him if he'll have a go at
> running the Recovery utility, so will update you when he's done that.

    Most recovery utilities aren't worth the CDs on which they're shipped.
That is to say, more trouble than good. I'm thinking you may have a
/configuration/ issue on the router, if the modem is indeed good, but it's
kinda' hard to tell from what you've described this far.

    Have you tried resetting the router to its default settings (usually
there's a "reset" button somewhere) and then put things back to where they
were before the trouble started?

> never said I didn't want input. Of course I do, that's why I put the
> post up. I didn't know you had 20+ years in the field. If you would
> like to make any suggestions then of course I will follow them up.

    I'm but one voice of expertise around here.

> I'm really sorry if the phraseology offended you. I don't normally use
> cos for because, but you caught me at a busy work moment. I promise
> I'll never do it again.

    That's just me being picky. I'm really not that stuffy, but anyone who
doesn't have time to write coherently, probably won't listen closely when
told how to fix a problem. Thanks plenty for the promise, though.

cheers,
A.J.
 --
"there's more to life than gears and horsepower
not much, admittedly, but you get the point..."