[Cube] Re: Netgear not neatgear

Riba riba at ml1.net
Tue Sep 20 00:55:10 PDT 2005

> > Yes, I have a USB connected modem which came free from my broadband
> > provider.
>
>     This modem connects to your router via USB, then? Just trying to get
>     a sense of the landscape, here.

Come on people, I got it the first time around. True, the terms can
sometimes be confusing, and DSL "modem" isn't a modem at all of course,
but a lot of people still refer it as such.

Helen got a USB DSL "modem" from her provider, but she used a DSL
wireless router instead. When it started acting up, she connected to the
DSL with the USB box she had to verify if the problem is in the
connection itself or the wireless router she's using.

> > I'm sorry if I haven't got the technical terms exactly right. But this
> > modem works fine, while the router with inmodem built and ethernet/airport
> > connection doesn't. That's why I thought it was the router.
>
>     So let's get this straight: You can connect one machine directly to
>     the
> modem and it works OK, but if you connect multiple machines to the modem
> via
> the router, you get no feed from the modem but the machines can talk to
> each
> other through the router? Is that what's happening?

No - see above.