[Cube] Do the processor upgrade cards fix Firewire?

Sean Terrill a10t2 at mac.com
Sun Jul 2 07:11:45 PDT 2006

Quoth Sean Ferguson (seanferguson at bellsouth.net) at 2/7/06 1:15 AM:

> Richard,
> I tried both resets about a year ago with no luck. But your
> mentioning it prompted me to look up my "how to" notes since I have
> nothing to loose by trying again. Then I also saw a note that said to
> try "resetting the Open Firmware," which I do not remember trying.
> But since the note gave no coaching, I'll have to find some
> instructions first. ... ... Still, in case I try all these fixes
> again and nothing works, can a "layperson" buy just the firewire chip
> somewhere? Does CubeOwner or someplace else have the instructions
> posted on how to replace one?

To reset Open Firmware:

Reboot while holding Command-Option-O-F
Type reset-nvram <Enter>
Type set-defaults <Enter>
Type reset-all <Enter>
Type mac-boot <Enter> (depending on which firmware revision you have, this
may not be necessary)

Replacing the FireWire chip may be something you want to try, but unless you
have experience with soldering surface-mount components, you'll probably
just end up buying a new motherboard anyway.

Good luck,

Sean Terrill
a10t2 at mac.com
http://www.spiffypage.com