[Cube] Newer OS X for Cube

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Apr 21 01:20:53 PDT 2007

On 20 Apr, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Peter Wigglesworth wrote:

> I am a new user of the Cube having been given it as an upgrade to
> an ancient Power Mac
> I would like to run a newer version of OS X on it than the 10.1
> disc I have that came in the box with it.
> (10.1 refuses to recognise USB memory cards and plugs when inserted
> that should shew on the desk top - So I have the old computer
> connected by ADSL cable and read them thru that - CLUNKY OR WHAT!)
> Problem... I am in England and the Cube is not connected to the
> Internet. The only internet connection I have is through a Windaz
> XP PC thing, which is really useful for e mails.
>
> Can any one mail me or point me towards a supplier of a CD
> containing  an operating system 10.3 or better that includes
> classic which I use for Art and Design software.
>
> I have borrowed a genuine disc of OS 10.4 that came with an i book
> G4 but that refuses to load on the cube - Any suggestions?

Let us first set things in their proper order.

Do not buy OS-10.2 because 10.3 is better. Buy your own copy of
OS-10.4 only if you have a DVD player to use for the installation. My
reason for advising the purchase of your own installer copy is that
you may not be able to borrow your friend's copy quickly when you
have a problem and need to fix it NOW.

You must have a DVD player connected to or installed in your Cube in
order to use any OS 10.4 install DVD. That version OS does not come
on a CD. If all you have in the Cube is a CD reader, you are out of
luck for installing OS-10.4 without some external help.

Another thing that OS-10.4 needs is a lot of RAM, be sure to install
over 512Mb in the Cube. You should have lots of RAM installed anyway.
It is much cheaper now than it was earlier and there is no longer an
excuse for not putting in as much as you need or can afford.

If you want to run Classic environment programs (OS-9 or earlier),
you must install that OS in your Cube. To get a version of OS-X that
comes with a CD to install OS-9, you will have to search for an
available older version for sale on eBay or maybe on Craig's List.
Again, look for OS-10.3 instead of 10.2!!!!

As long as the CDs are generic installers (meaning that the disks are
not labeled for any SPECIFIC model Macintosh such as an iMac,
PowerBook, or an Intel chip model), you should be getting both the OS-
X and OS-9 installer CDs in the packet. Do the OS-X installation
first and then do a Clean Install of OS-9 to avoid the installer
asking you if you want to erase any existing OS before installing
another version.

As to the USB devices not being recognized, that may be because of a
corrupted OS or possibly a dead USB socket. Have you tested the USB
sockets with other devices than your memory cards? You could try
connecting a digital camera and see if it is detected by the OS.

Is your ISP not compatible with Macs? Is that why you are using the
PC for internet connections?

If you complete the installation of OS-10.x successfully, you should
be able to use the Cube as an internet machine without too much
difficulty in configuration. There is a helper program for internet
access in the OS-X install that does much of the configuration for you.

Welcome to the World of Macintosh Cube owners.