[Cube] Newer OS X for Cube

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Apr 21 17:51:43 PDT 2007

On 21 Apr, 2007, at 5:38 PM, atoa wrote:

> No. You can buy it for $129 at fastmac. And Apple only charged
> $9.95 for the exchange.

I had never seen that it was available to the general public (store
shelves) in CD mode. "Only charging $9.95 for the exchange" is still
costing more than the original sale price for the same end product.

>> My thought is that you have already bought the 10.4 version and
>> should not have to spend more money to make it work on a non-DVD
>> native machine. It should have been available at the outset in
>> both DVD and CD versions for the customer to choose from. Of
>> course, I also believe that we shouldn't have to pay for an
>> incremental upgrade, ie: 10.4.x to 10.5.x. It should be priced in
>> the same manner as versions 7, 8, and 9 were.
>>

> Seems to me that if you bought the DVD version, and knew you didn't
> have a DVD drive available, it isn't Apple's fault. Apple prices
> its products in line with what it thinks the market will bear.
> What's wrang with that?

You are missing the gist of the paragraph. Why should we have to pay
more to get the same product in a different packaging? I think it
should have been made available in both forms from the start. That
would have made it available to all users instead of only to those
who have DVD readers installed.

>> This is a case of Apple learning how to get more from its
>> customers, just like MonopolySoft has been doing since Whinedoze v95.
>
> Ditto.

Ditto to what? Is this a rebuttal or just a confirmation of
MonopolySoft practices? Apple was doing well by its customers without
copying this subtle form of extortionist pricing.