[Cube] Thinking about a upgrade

Riba riba at ml1.net
Thu Feb 1 09:02:53 PST 2007

On 2007.02.01, at 16:19, Kim David McNeill Simmons wrote:

> Riba,
> 	I was in the same boat as well. I eventually regulated my cube to
> internet browsing and email.

Oh, but my Cube is already used for that for some time now. :) That's
why I am sure that for example 1.2 GHz upgrade for $200 would be
sweet. :) The Cube still does what it is supposed to do, but I guess
I am considering an upgrade just because there won't be any on the
market very soon.

> The problem with upgrading via an upgrade card is just common
> sense. You can buy a stripped down Mini-Mac for $600 dollars that
> is by far faster than any upgrade you can do, remember the bus is
> still slow no matter how fast you make the CPU.
> For just under $800.00 you can buy a Mini-Mac that has a DVD. As
> much as we all love our Cubes, there comes a time when we have to
> own up to the facts, it is far better the buy new then to remodel.
>
> Keep in mind Apple really no longer supports their Apple monitor
> ADC connection so if you have that kind of monitor you will be
> buying an adapter that will cost you around $100.00,if you have a
> VGA or DVI style connection monitor you are OK

Actually just yesterday I bought a DVI to ADC converter on ebay, and
I'll probably get a mini to keep on the side.