[Cube] smoking Cube

Jan Georgen jwgeorgen at mac.com
Sat Jan 27 19:53:14 PST 2007

Thanks for the response! It is basically stock, was a 450mHz that now
has a 500mHz processor. The 3 memory slots are full, though I I don't
know off-hand what the sizes are. The power brick is good. I have 2
of them (one is powering an ADC LCD for my Sawtooth) and tried both.
My son's cat apparently knocked the cube over/off the desk and the
drive acquired the Click of Death. I had pulled the old one and
replaced with another, was installing a new OS (10.4) but the CD
drive was making a funny noise, to me anyway. So I was in the process
of putting the Cube back in it's shell when it hung up. In the
interest of speed, I had not fastened the top plate (with the power
button) completely and the cable from the power button pulled out of
the J1 (?) receptacle. I am thinking that connector is attached to
the vrm card and that is the source of my problem. And I am hoping,
if that is the case, that the damage has not burned out the motherboard.

I will do further investigating re: source of the burning smell.

Thanks.

Jan Georgen