[Cube] smoking Cube

Jan Georgen jwgeorgen at mac.com
Sun Jan 28 21:51:41 PST 2007

Good  evening. The saga continues. I was ready to start random swaps
(since I happen to be a random-styled thinker) but heeded Dan's
advice. For the most part. I pulled the hard drive then plugged in
the power supply, then observed. Quickly.

The red light/lcd turned on when the power was plugged in (no power
switch attached).
Very shortly thereafter, there was a popping/crackling sound.
Followed by smoke emitting from both sides of video card. Followed by
a pungent, metallic odor.
Then a quick pull-out of the power plug.

then a quasi-systematic take-apart, down to the pulling out of the DC-
DC board. The gold contacts on the DC board that fit into the slot on
the motherboard (the slot you have to push the 'ejector' to release
the DC board) have a sort of gold-ish crust around each point and
another sniff test yields sharp remnants of that metallic odor. Sort
of smells like fingernails on a chalkboard sound, if you can switch
sensory brain parts.

That's where I stopped tonight. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for all the ideas, directions, and warnings.

Jan Georgen