[Cube] Ideas for Public display (Was the infamous Cube shutdown problem)

Tom Burns tlburns at owu.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:25:56 PDT 2007

On 7/5/07 4:29 PM, "Seth Maynard" <sethwm2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is great I am happy that that worked for you, it could have been
> something more serious. You are lucky it was not some kind of power problem
> like the dc/dc board that has been known to crap out in the cubes

In fact, the DC/DC board was distinctly loose in its slot.  According to
Apple, a loose DC/DC board turns out to be one of the causes of intermittent
reboots, etc., but that turned out not to be the problem in this case.

Still, it¹s a great machine.  Has anyone bothered to add internal lighting,
etc.? I¹m asking because I intend to put the Cube in question on public
display as one of out publicly accessible computers at Perkins Observatory,
where I work.  I¹m tempted to add a caption:  ³Isn¹t this the coolest design
for a computer ever conceived?² I¹d also like to jazz up the display a bit.
(I¹ve heard of people adding internal  lights, etc.) Any suggestions?

Tom B.