[Cube] Ideas for Public display (Was the infamous Cube shutdown problem)

Frederick Manter frederix9 at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 5 19:41:02 PDT 2007

>On 7/5/07 4:29 PM, "Seth Maynard" <sethwm2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>That is great I am happy that that worked for you, it could have
>been something more serious. You are lucky it was not some kind of
>power problem like the dc/dc board that has been known to crap out
>in the cubes
>
>In fact, the DC/DC board was distinctly loose in its slot.
> According to Apple, a loose DC/DC board turns out to be one of the
>causes of intermittent reboots, etc., but that turned out not to be
>the problem in this case.
>
>Still, it's a great machine.  Has anyone bothered to add internal
>lighting, etc.? I'm asking because I intend to put the Cube in
>question on public display as one of out publicly accessible
>computers at Perkins Observatory, where I work.  I'm tempted to add
>a caption:  "Isn't this the coolest design for a computer ever
>conceived?" I'd also like to jazz up the display a bit. (I've heard
>of people adding internal  lights, etc.) Any suggestions?
>
>Tom B.

There were several attempts that I can remember from about three
years ago, some better than others and some with schematics for power
supply and LED hookups. I'm sure a Goggle search would bring them up.
The case plastic did amazing things with light, however it was the
subtle stuff that turned me on.

Cheers, F'k