[Cube] Airport networks variable

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jun 14 23:02:55 PDT 2007

On 14 Jun, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Dorothy Smith wrote:

> At certain times of the day two different networks are available,
> one of them strong and fast, the other "linksys" much less so. Can
> anyone tell me how to set up the Cube to always seek the better
> network? As the house is right next door, I can't understand why
> the variation.

The two different networks are just that - two different networks in
two different locations. with two different names.

The reason that you see one as strong and fast and the other as not
so good is that it (the weaker one) is probably farther away from
your receiving antenna. It is probably in the next house past the
good one or in a house across the street.

If you can enter both, that means that neither of these networks have
activated password protection and their nets are available to anyone
who walks or drives by. Dangerous activity, that!

As far as choosing the better network, as long as you configure your
Mac network preferences to always seek the network that you already
have permission to use, you are good to go. If this is the weaker
network, then you could seek out the owner of the stronger and ask
permission from him/her.

I would do as I already have - pay for my own access and protect it
from intrusions with a password. That way, I don't have to rely on
the generosity of someone who might get a case of the mads at me for
something or another and cut me off in the middle of an important
session. What will you do if they turn off their wireless modem or
suffer a power loss in the house?