[Cube] Wireless Cable Modem

atoa atoa at krak.net
Fri May 4 05:42:15 PDT 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Da Pen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What are thoughts about the best Cable modem/router
> wireless for our beloved Macs and an errant PC?  We
> just had Charter Cable hi-speed turned up and now we
> need a Mac friendly all-in-one wireless cable modem
> gateway.  It must also serve a PC well.  We have
> airport extreme on a 1ghz G4 powerbook, the other PC
> has windows XP on it.  I hope soon to have an intel
> macbook in my possession.  I also have a Cube with
> airport that will find it's way into this wireless
> network at some point.
>
> Thanks for all thoughts.
> Dave

You will face a security problem because the Cube's airport
card will not do better than WEP. Using that card,  your entire network
will  have to stay at WEP. Make sure your gateway supports MAC address
filtering, and use it.

You might consider an external USB wireless NIC for the Cube. But don't
trust the manufacturer's claims on OSX support. Some will, or won't,
depending on the chipset, even though the model number is the same.

Beyond that, I've used Belkin, Linksys and Netgear without problems on
multi-platform networks.