[Cube] Leopard Install

Joost van de Griek jvdg at jvdg.com
Tue Oct 30 01:06:20 PDT 2007

James Whitfield wrote:

> RibaI read the tech specs for Leopard. It says that you need to be
> running a 867 MHz or better processor. So maybe you should upgrade
> your processor. I think that Apple is slowly phasing out the G4 users
> period. So that we're forced to buy the Intel processors.

I doubt a processor upgrade will allow Leopard to be installed; Apple are very
strict about those things. According to them, Macs cannot be upgraded, so a
machine identifying itself as a Cube will be unable to run Leopard. Simple as
that.

And of course Apple are phasing out support for the G4 CPU; they phased out G3
support before that, 60x support before that, and 68K support before that. G4
(desktop) machines are getting long in the tooth, and technology moves on. That
has little to do with "forcing" people to buy Intel Macs; you can keep using
your Cube as long as you wish. You won't be running the latest and greatest OS
and applications on it, but hey, if it works today, there's no reason it
shouldn't work tomorrow, right?

Tiger didn't stop working (for me, anyway) the day Leopard was released, and I
have an old G3 running Panther just fine. It is taking care of business just as
well as it did when Panther shipped and I first installed it. I just never saw
a need to upgrade it to Tiger, and I don't see a need to upgrade it to Leopard,
either.

,xtG
tsooJ