[Cube] New Apple keyboards work with Cube

Ted Dixon teddixon at mac.com
Thu Sep 13 14:47:06 PDT 2007

Approximately 18 months ago, I upgraded the original Cube video card
to a Nvidia GeForce2 MX 32 MB card that I believe was available as an
optional upgrade for the original Cube.  The card was extremely hard
to find then, and expensive as used cards go.  I needed the card so
that I could replace the original 15 inch display (clear plastic
frame) for an Apple aluminum  20 inch Cinema display.  The new
keyboard's sleek profile looks very good with the 20 inch Cinema
display.  The silver/aluminum wrapper inside the clear plastic Cube's
outer shell also is complemented by the keyboard.  And, by the way,
the Apple keyboard software update is triggered by the presence of
the keyboard and will be available at the "next" scheduled Apple
software notification.  The software update does in fact activate the
new function keys, i.e., video forward, reverse, play/pause; screen
brightness; dashboard, etc.

The original grey with black keys keyboard looked great with the
original Cube tennis ball sized speakers that were clear plastic
outer casings with black inner skeletons.

I currently use the original Harmon Kardon Soundsticks w/sub woofer
for sound and with the new keyboard,  I'm pleased with the overall
look of my system.

Hope this helps,

Ted

> And how does it look with the Cube? Better than the original grey
> with black keys keyboard?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
>
> On 12 Sep 2007, at 06:51, Ted Dixon wrote:
>
>> I installed the new USB keyboard today, replacing the original G4
>> Cube (450) keyboard. While I have not organized a comprehensive
>> test as yet, using it casually for two hours was rather uneventful.
>>
>> There is an Apple keyboard software update available that
>> presumably activates the new hardware function keys
>>
>> The touch/feel is very different (better) and the riser on the
>> front edge of the keyboard is less severe and not adjustable,
>> causing the keyboard to sit flatter on the desktop.
>>
>> So far, so good.
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Rob In der Maur wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have tested out the new Apple keyboards to work with the
>>> Cube?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Rob