[Cube] DVD won't eject from firmware

Tom Burns tlburns at owu.edu
Sat Sep 22 19:32:34 PDT 2007

On 9/22/07 8:33 PM, "Ronald Steinke" <ronsteinke at mac.com> wrote:

> On 22 Sep, 2007, at 8:51, Tom Burns wrote:
>

>> Just replaced by old HD with a new one and stupidly left a CD in the CD-DVD
>>

>> ROM drive, so now I can't install OS X on the new HD.
>>

> Just restart your Mac and hold the mouse button down during the startup
> procedure. This will cause any removable media to be ejected without having to
> use any command line text in terminal mode.
>
> Also, there should be a small hole on the front of your disk reader that you
> can insert a straightened paper clip into and gently press the disk release
> lever to eject the disk.
>
> Either of these methods are usually successful.

 Good suggestions. I¹ve tried all the usual methods, but the Cube simply
doesn¹t recognize the optical drive with the new HD installed. It looks at
the HD, doesn¹t find an OS, and just stops there, blinking the ³folder² icon
that indicates it can¹t find an OS anywhere.  It doesn¹t seem to try to look
down the chain for the optical drive.

I reinstalled the old HD, complete with OS 10.4, and it booted fine and
recognized the optical drive.  It was the only way to get the old CD to
eject without disassembling the machine and mechanically removing it.

I then reinstalled the new HD, put the OS 10.4 DVD in the drive and pressed
³C² to try to get the thing to boot to the OS installer.  No dice.  It still
tries  to look for an OS on the new HD and then stalls there.

This is a new one on me, and I¹ve installed more than a few hard drives into
older Macs.

BTW, I¹m using the latest/ last version of the Cube firmware (4.19, I think)
and I¹ve also maxed out the memory and added the Powermax 1.67 GHz processor
upgrade.  The larger HD would be nice if I can get the Cube to install an
OS. Sigh.

Does anybody know what¹s going on?

Tom B.